I'll release most —if not all— of these interviews, along with the dissertation itself and some quantitative data, by mid-2017 through the project website, www.nerdjournalism.com (under construction.) However, the conversation with John was so compelling that I asked him if I could make it public right away. Listen to it here, or below.
(Note: A small portion of the chat didn't get recorded. I asked John to make some predictions about the future of visualization, and he mentioned a larger role for annotation, good headlines, etc.)
Here are links to some of the projects John mentioned:
- New York Times: You draw it -- How family income affects children's college chances
- Berliner Morgenpost: Do you remember where Germany was divided?
- Guardian: Where can you afford to buy a house?
- Bloomberg: The Trading Game
- Adam Pearce's Swoopy Drag d3 add-on for annotations
- FT's EU referendum polltracker